A short post about something that's not really documented. When working on a communication application for Haiku, I needed to create a typical configuration wizard window. I required a few views to be present in one spot, with only one being shown at the same time - with the ability to switch between them on user Next/Prev button press. Since Haiku exports a neat layout API, I wanted to use one of those if only possible. And then I found the BCardLayout.
It's been a while since I last wrote something here on Blog-O-Sphere. Probably most of you don't remember me anymore - but I'm still around, still experimenting with things Haiku in my free time.
During the weekends, I'm working on enhancing a very old BeOS application long lost in time. While browsing the Haiku kit and application source tree, sometimes I stumble upon some new (at least for me) but also interesting small elements that Haiku added to the Haiku API during its development. I like to try these elements out. Most of these API additions might change or even disappear in the nearest future, since I understand their development process is not yet finished, but they're interesting to know nevertheless.
I know some of these additions might be obvious to those up-to-date with the Haiku source code. But maybe some readers will find this at least a bit informative.
Even though I had some private issues this week, all is going well with the PackageInstall. In its current form it is able to properly install all 3 test BeOS packages I tried on it, creating files and directories along with their data and attributes without flaw. So, what's left to do right now?
Personal rant: my university examination session draws near and with it all credit tests as well. I'm doing my best in time management not to put any of my current tasks and projects into starvation, but exactly as Ryan wrote to me - it's not easy.
Going back to more Haiku-specific topics, last week I was mostly analyzing the .pkg format Be Inc. left us behind. After some tests, most crucial parts of it are clear to me now. I must say most of their design solutions for this particular chosen concept had logical and technical grounds. To tell the truth, when I started hacking on this format I thought to myself: “Good god, who did this to you?”. I was wrong. Well... it's a very interesting one nevertheless.
Finally back with a proper development environment.
Seizing the opportunity of having some free time, I finished implementing the user interface and prepared everything for package file parsing. Since I have yet to analyze the .pkg format throughout, I'd rather have everything prepared for this to come. From what I see from the materials sent by Ryan, the format itself doesn't seem to be as complicated, but there are still quite some unknowns. I will have to do some tests on a BeOS platform to see how a few other things work. For instance - unknown various bytes between the package description and the package author and name. Probably unessential though...
I will look into this more as soon as possible.
Who would have thought that something like me being chosen as a student for GSoC would actually happen. But it did. Blissfully indeed.