Haiku Release 1 Alpha 3
The Haiku Project is excited to announce the availability of our third official alpha release. A year and a month have passed since the Alpha 2 and the Haiku Project has been busy. The main purpose of this release is to provide interested third party developers with a stable version for testing and development. To aid with that, Haiku includes a rich set of development tools.
The release features many improvements across the board, including:
- Hardware - much improved hardware support, including printers via Gutenprint
- Filesystems - added btrfs, ext4 and exFAT
- Localization - more translations and better support of e.g. Chinese
- Layout API - improved layout classes
- Applications - functionality and user interface improvements
- Window management - stacking and tiling of windows, keyboard shortcuts
- Media - improved format support and media player
- Bug fixes - over 950 bugs have been closed as fixed since R1 Alpha 2
For more about R1 Alpha 3, visit www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/release-notes
Haiku R1 Alpha 3 availability
- Download - disk images (USB, CD, virtualization) at www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku
- Purchase - commemorative CDs from www.haiku-inc.org/order-disc.html
The Haiku Project is a volunteer based initiative and was started on August 18th, 2001. The goal of the project is to develop and promote the adoption of Haiku, an open source, general purpose operating system. Haiku aims at personal computing, letting you do what you want with ease! Haiku adopts design concepts from the BeOS® and takes it to the next level by infusing those concepts with recent advances.
We would like to thank all donors enabling development contracts funded through Haiku, Inc. and Haikuware's Bounty program, the HSA for organizing the BeGeistert conferences, and Google's Summer of Code program.