Haiku is a new open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Fundraising 2014

Goal: $35,000
  $13,754

WHAT'S NEW IN HAIKU DEVELOPMENT

The Haiku source is continually built and released for testing purposes nearly every day. You can download and install these latest snapshots to check out the latest features and bug-fixes.

Be aware that nightly images may be unstable. Additionally, some packages included with official releases need to be installed separately.

If you're OK with this, you can find further instructions at our Nightly image page.

Miracles do happen; Development contract for April!

News posted on Mon, 2014-03-31 20:40

Wow. Thanks to our donors' generousity, Adrien is able to continue for a seventh month of improving WebPositive, WebKit and its related techologies. $2145 has been raised this past month! This is spot on with the number mentioned in last month's contract announcement article.

If you did not hear, Adrien has started working on HTML5 Audio/Video support, specifically the audio portion. As usual, he is publishing weekly progress reports on his blog. Periodically, new builds of WebKit and WebPositive are merged into the nightly images.

Once again, allow me to extend our gratitude to everyone who has and continues to donate. The yearly total is now soaring past $13000, which could make 2014 our best year yet. Each and everyone of you are helping to make Haiku a better product. Thank you! If you have not yet donated, this is the perfect time to do so.

WebKit weekly report #25

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-28 07:40

Hello world!

Support for html5 audio makes slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Last week I was struggling with the build system. These issues are solved now, and I have a WebKit build which recognizes the <audio> and <video> html5 tags. This is not quite enough to get the sound and video output going, however. I have started plugging some parts of it to the media kit. We now download the audio files, and try to decode them with Media Kit. However, I found a bug with our ffmpeg add-on, that doesn't properly report the list of formats it can decode. I could work around that (but I'll try to fix it properly instead). However, we also have a problem with using BMediaFile and BMediaTrack in hybrid applications, as the ffmpeg decoder add-on is not available for those, and it needs to be instanciated in the application side. Moreover, the media server doesn't seem to handle hybrid paths properly, so the app tries to load the non-hybrid version of the add-on. So, I'll have to work on the media kit itself, earlier than I expected.

I also merged the latest version of WebKit, with the usual set of cleanup, optimization and bugfixes. The GTK port completely switched to CMake, and the autotools based build system is now gone. CMake is now the standard way of building WebKit, with only Apple port using something else (but they are considering to make the switch as well).

I'm also watching the testsuite results. I fixed some bugs in our font code again (mainly mixum of characters vs bytes), fixing some crashes. There is one crash (related to iframes) and one assert (related to cached resources) that I'd like to fix, as they cause most of the testsuite crashes. There are also a lot of rendering bugs, and fixing them will likely help with the rendering issues on real-world pages (but the pages in the testsuite are much simpler, making it easy to find where the bug comes from). I'll continue to review these.

WebKit weekly report #24

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-21 08:31

Hello world,

The report is going to be sort this week, for several reasons:

  • I was not at home for the week-end, and didn't get any Haiku work done,
  • As announced last week, I'm currently working only part-time for Haiku,
  • And, not much happened anyway. There are weeks like that.

WebKit weekly report #23

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Thu, 2014-03-13 15:04

Hello everyone!

The report is a bit early this week, because I will not be available tomorrow (in case you wonder, I will be at the Forever Party). So, here it is.

WebKit weekly report #22

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-07 07:58

Hello there!

First of all, thanks to everyone who donated some money to make yet another month of contract work possible. This weekend I uploaded a release as announced in last week post. As expected, after this long overdue update, testers quickly found many small problems, so this week my work was mainly hunting these small bugs. Fortunately, none of them was too hard to fix. The fixes include:

Funded development continues into March!

News posted on Sat, 2014-03-01 04:20

Within these past 4 weeks, over $1,200 USD and &EUR;900 EUR have been raised! Thanks directly to this fundraising, Adrien is now able to be funded through the month of March. With the addition of the newest monthly subscribers, we reached a milestone and now raise over $1,000 per month through recurring monthly donations!