Haiku, Inc. owns the 'Haiku'® name, HAIKU logo®, HAIKU Background Leaf™, and HAIKU Leaf™ (registered) trademarks. As an open source project, the name and brand that is associated with the Project is vital to the Project's reputation and the sense of familiarity that end-users expect from the Software. Anyone is able to freely use the code that comprises Haiku, however the trademarks of Haiku cannot freely be used in the same liberal manner.
The Trademark Policy
The Trademark Policy exists to protect the name, image, and brand that is HAIKU through regulation. While the wording in this policy may appear strict, it should be clearly expressed that Haiku, Inc. has a policy of granting permission with minimal effort on the requestor's part, where it is visibly good for the Project and makes sense.
- Unless explicitly stated, the usage requirements apply to all uses of the Marks.
- Allowed usage details which cases do not require permission from Haiku, Inc.
- For other uses, policy compliance does not by itself constitute permission.
- Permission for those uses are to be granted on a case-by-case basis, with the goal of a quick decision with minimal fuss.
- Permission of one usage case does not grant nor imply permission for other usage cases.
- Haiku, Inc. can deny/revoke permission at its discretion.
- Haiku, Inc. can grant permission at its own discretion, even in violation of its own policy.
To be clear, only the owners of the trademark have the capacity to grant permission. Community feedback is welcomed regarding this policy.
This policy is subject to change without notice.