aldeck's blog

Unexpected

Blog post by aldeck on Wed, 2012-06-13 01:32

After a week of struggling with my friend the compiler, I finally managed to bring the port into a buildable state again. Porting the latest changes to libwebkit, the last of the four WebKit subcomponents (libwtf, libjavascriptcore, libwebcore, libwebkit), took me more time than I anticipated but to my great surprise, after I fixed the first runtime crash, HaikuLauncher and WebPositive would run and be almost usable. Yes, there are visual glitches, and it is quite easy to crash, but you can search google, use maps, facebook, haiku-os.org and post this blog post.

This was totally unexpected, I would have considered it normal to struggle with numerous crashes on startup, but it seems that I didn't broke that many things in the upgrade. The first thing that I noticed was the overall snappiness even in debug mode and, after looking for a simple load time benchmark, I confirmed that first impression. This benchmark shows a ~3x improvement in load time. Javascript is substantially faster too, but you know that already if you read my last post.

This is really encouraging, especially for me, as I've now got something to click and play with... after discussing with a compiler for almost a month :-)

Now the real work begins, fix all regressions and provide a solid release, one that can run the most important sites correctly. And if I've got some time left, I'll look into bringing new features and enhancements. But don't count too much on that, if prefer concentrating on a solid base for now.

Screenshot (sorry I couldn't manage to embed the image)

Making it Build

Blog post by aldeck on Wed, 2012-06-06 00:29

Hello fellow Haiku'ers, as promised I'm posting a quick update on my WebKit / WebPositive contract work. It's been a little more than a week already, and a small report is due!

Welcome WebKit r115944 ! As you may know, WebKit is a really big project, in the last two years, 70000 revisions have passed and the file count has almost doubled. The approach I took was to start by checking out a recent WebKit revision and try building the components one by one, re-applying our changes. The idea was to add only the strict necessary for Haiku and at the same time try to include as many features as possible, ignoring assumptions and workarounds that aren't needed anymore. As many things have changed in WebKit and as I needed to get familiar with this huge codebase anyway, I decided to dismantle our port and put it back together again, like one would have done with a complex piece of mechanics. Thus I did a Jamfile from scratch, based on other platforms buildsystems, and replayed our changes one by one, as the compiler asked. Each time trying to document my changes and research the reasons and implications of the changes.

October 2010 Code Sprint Report

Blog post by aldeck on Sat, 2010-10-30 01:08

Fernsehturm Düsseldorf
Düsseldorf

Preceding the BeGeistert 023 weekend was the usual weeklong Code Sprint (18.-22. of October 2010). Present to this year's coding sprint were (from left to right on the photo below):

Colin Günther (bosii)
Oliver Tappe (zooey)
Clemens Zeidler (czeidler)
Rene Gollent (anevilyak)
Alexandre Deckner (aldeck)

Reinventing the wing

Blog post by aldeck on Tue, 2010-03-30 17:02

Everybody has already heard about the famous metaphor "Reinventing the wheel". It's most of the time a good advice. However, what happens if your'e not reinventing a wheel. But let's say... a wing.