Hi there, we're now in the last part of the summer.
A lot happened in the UltraDV source. The code is gradually maturing and a lot of components have been replaced and implemented among more than 30 commits.
Someone might have already noticed there's some ferment around UltraDV, originally supposed to be a BeOS killer app then it stalled down. It was finally open sourced under MIT license around 2013 and today we are trying to find a path to see it's development continue. Today I'm going to show the good points as well as the hard ones.
Let's talk about the most recent improvements in streaming support, this is perhaps a bit more technical than in past but in this case most of the work was related to refine internal mechanisms. I'm going to talk also about recent MediaPlayer changes, as well as other things.
Finally a new report. The time since the latest report has been spent mostly into gaining a preliminary support to streaming and begin finalyzing the underlying support code.
This included documenting myself about the APIs and figuring out how to implement the functionality in a clean way. There are various additions, we are moving to the right place so we finally have a streaming infrastructure.
It's really a long time since the latest report, starting with this one I'm going to restore the usual article frequency.
The second part of my contract has been accepted and I'm finally returning to work on streaming support. However there is various work I had not the possibility to talk about and other things I pushed in the last week.
Good news everyone!
It was a very long week, having easter in the middle too. There are various news, but I want to begin with a summary of this month.
- 42 commits have been included into the Haiku master branch
- More than 15 commits are still WIP among my branches
- 2 commits have been put into haikuports
- 4 tickets are now closed and a lot more are waiting my work to be complete
I submitted a request to Haiku Inc. to work for additional 240 hours, and I hope the project gets the needed funding to support my work. If you are interested in seeing my contract continue, please consider making a donation :-)
Let's talk about what happened in the meantime.
Hello, here a short report about how things are coming along.
Work continue on the curl streaming code
I've continued working on the network glue by adding a very basic locking using the RWLocker in Haiku's shared kit. This class allow multiple concurrent readers and an exclusive writer at one time.
there are not a lot of news. This is mostly due to myself being occupied in the lastest two weeks with other commitments that I can't really avoid. The situation is going to change, and I plan to restore a normal working day since monday.
The hours in the latest week have been put in the development of the streaming infrastructure. Plugins are now correctly loaded by the app, and the internal classes now provide the needed exceptions to consider network streams. I've had to do some step back into the API desing reconsidering more carefully the caching policies offered to the final program.
Hello, as you may have seen from the news on the front page of the website, the contract I proposed has been accepted. This contract relates to development in the media_kit area. While there is more than one goal, the first part will be dealing with streaming support. I would like to thank all the donors that made this contract possible.
The first week has been something like slow start; I expect to spend an increasing number of hours the more I get into the contract. As the official announcement hinted this is an initial contract for 120 hours. My intention is to get the media_kit in good shape to eventually concentrate on other things. The tasks I put into my contract proposal are important for more than one reason:
Hello, it has been some time since my last article, in the meantime I continued to improve things out and since I changed some important parts of the media_kit, I think it's correct to notify the community about new and ‘old’ features added recently. This is an article mostly written for application developers, but I tried to explain the improvements made with simple words so I hope it will be interesting to anyone.