So far, I have been working on the indexing part of Beacon, which is nearly complete. In the coming weeks, I will be running beacond (now index_server) as a service in the background so that I can find and squash whatever bugs remain in the code. For now, index_server is blazing fast, but that might be because the indexes I test against are just a few megabytes in size. From what I hear, though, CLucene can easily handle indexes which are several gigabytes in size without blinking an eye, so speed might not be an issue as the indexes grow.
After more than a week of thinking, "Today is the day I'll write that blog post", here I am with a status update on my HCD2009 project. I have only a few more points to add to what Matt has already posted here.
First of all, the previously unnamed full text indexing and search tool now has a name: Beacon. The indexing daemon currently in the works is called beacond. This is what beacond can do right now:
Hi, I’m Ankur Sethi. I’m a first year Information Technology student at Indraprastha University, New Delhi. I will be working on a full text indexing and search application for Haiku Code Drive 2009.
I use Mac OS X as my primary OS. Before I switched to the Mac, I had been an Ubuntu user for four solid years. I first read about Haiku on OSNews back in 2007 (my profile says my account is 1 year 36 weeks old), and I was hooked.