ZFS Port: Three-Quarter Term Report

Blog post by generalmaximus on Sat, 2011-08-06 04:46

Briefly, my goals for the three quarter term were: port libzfs, port the commandline tools zfs and zpool, and write a kernel module to communicate with userland tools via ioctl() calls on a /dev/zfs. Another goal was to make sure our port of ZFS passes all tests in ztest. With the exception of a few missing routines, libzfs builds fine on Haiku. So does zpool. zfs requires some love, but nothing major remains to be done.

ZFS Port: Midterm Report

Blog post by generalmaximus on Tue, 2011-07-19 09:44

My midterm goal was porting libzpool -- which contains most of the ZFS code -- to Haiku. Another midterm goal was to get ztest -- the ZFS testing tool --- to run on Haiku. Being able to run ztest in a loop for an entire day means that about 80% of the ported code is working fine (though the remaining 20% is the most difficult part of the entire porting process).

ZFS Port: Quarter Term Report

Blog post by generalmaximus on Fri, 2011-06-17 03:32

My quarter term goals for the ZFS port included porting all the libzpool dependencies to Haiku. Out of four major dependencies -- libavl, libnvpair, libuutil and libumem -- I already have two -- libavl and libnvpair -- building on Haiku. libumem and libuutil will take another few days, which puts me at least a week behind my original schedule. I'm currently working on porting libuutil, which is presenting a few roadblocks but nothing that can't be fixed in one day's work.

ZFS Port: Community Bonding Report

Blog post by generalmaximus on Mon, 2011-05-30 19:39

I was busy with finals throughout the Community Bonding period, which left me with little time to work on GSoC-related tasks. I still have 3 exams left with the last one being on June 7. That's when the fun starts. For now I'm merely playing with ZFS on FreeBSD on a virtual machine. I still need to make my way through at least the ZFS On-Disk Specification. Even though the information contained in this document is not strictly required for porting ZFS to Haiku, it's a useful read nonetheless.

GSoC Introduction: ZFS Port

Blog post by generalmaximus on Sat, 2011-04-30 18:08

I'm Ankur Sethi, a 20 year old hacker from New Delhi, India. I mostly program in Python and Objective-C (on Mac OS X/iOS). This summer, I will work on porting ZFS to Haiku as part of Google Summer of Code 2011. My proposal lives here. ZFS is a combined file system and logical volume manager built by Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) for OpenSolaris. Besides having a 'Z' in the name -- which automatically grants it +100 awesome points -- ZFS sports a feature set that will enable developers to build some incredibly neat applications on top of Haiku.