[GSoC 2017] Porting Swift to Haiku - Week #9 / #10

Blog post by return0e on Fri, 2017-08-18 05:56

Time for another update on the swift port, which covers the last two weeks of my activity, So here it goes! Week 9 - My Findings on Porting libdispatch On the 9th week, I added early support for building libdispatch aka ‘Grand Central Dispatch (GCD)’ which is Apple’s event-driven concurrency framework which allows executing high performance code via asynchronous task queues or I/O file descriptors (including sockets), which enables programs to take advantage of multi-core systems and to run Swift programs that utilises this.

Recovering from RMLL 2017

Blog post by mmu_man on Tue, 2017-08-15 00:00

RMLL booths during the week-end…It took me some time to write this report, between other stuff and a cold caught in July (WTF?). But still, plenty of stuff happened at this year’s edition of RMLL/LSM so I had to let you know.

Since the RMLL didn’t take place last year, as no city applied, I was quite impatient to see what this year’s edition in Saint Etienne would bring. By the way, if your hackerspace, LUG (or HUG?) wants to organize the next edition, you should apply quickly, but be warned, it’s quite a job!

[gsoc_2017] tcp optimization report 5

Blog post by a-star on Mon, 2017-08-14 02:10

Hello everyone. After the second evaluation I have been carrying out various tests to compare the output characteristics of the current TCP implementation of Haiku against the one with my patches applied. I shared the links to my patches on the mailing list. They comprise of all ticket numbers in the range 13629 - 13634 [ Trac link ]. Test Setup There are two systems: My Ubuntu 14.04 system running Haiku hrev51307 x86gcc2 inside Virtual Box.

[GSoC 2017] Calendar Application: Weekly Report 6

Blog post by AkshayAgarwal007 on Fri, 2017-08-11 02:41

Hello Everyone! In this post I would be focusing on the work done in the past two weeks. I implemented a database backend and worked on generating notification for events. Currently, I am using SQLite3 for data storage, but I would be implementing a BFS backend for the same sooner. Google Calendar integration is currently in progress. Also there is an issue with date/time parsing and formatting in the app which I would be fixing.

Haiku monthly activity report - 07/2017

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2017-08-04 20:26

Hi there, Time for another monthly report! It covers hrev51254-hrev51346 Network Waddlesplash merged some changes to netresolv (the DNS resolver), from NetBSD. The virtio_net driver was completed by phoudoin, and is now somewhat working. This driver is used for the virtual network device provided by some virtual machines, and should be simpler to implement and keep up to date than the more or less correctly implemented emulated devices that are used otherwise.

[GSoC 2017 - BTRFS write support] Week #9 #10 #11 (Second coding period)

Blog post by HyChe on Fri, 2017-08-04 12:06

Hi there! It has been 4 weeks since my last blog post. This blog post recaps what I have done in the second coding period and what I am doing and will do in the following weeks. Link to my previous blog post[1]. In the previous weeks I have been doing the implmentation for extent allocator and journal. About the extent allocator, the allocating strategy for now is “first fit” which means it allocates a first extent that after the address and has size that equal or larger the size we need.

[GSoC 2017] Preferences GUI Refactoring - Weekly Report 5

Blog post by anirudhm on Sun, 2017-07-30 19:19

Hello World. The second evaluation got over recently, and wanted to update my progress. My last blog post had discussion that custom preflets wanted to be added into SuperPrefs. It has been implemented now. Along with the exisitng boxes for specific categories, there’s now a box for Custom preflets, which includes third party preflets which come along with installation of apps. I also was working with implementation of Sorting of the entries in boxes, users can sort it based on Category, or Alphabetically, both has been done now.

[GSoC 2017] Porting Swift to Haiku - Week #8

Blog post by return0e on Fri, 2017-07-28 16:12

Hello everyone! Since last week I worked on enabling Haiku support for running the swift test-suite. This allows the newly built compiler to be put through the same series of test-cases run by the swift buildbots for macOS, Linux and FreeBSD platforms. These tests cover different areas of the toolchain, from simple unit-tests to validation-tests that cover the compiler internals, major standard library API changes and most importantly, compiler stability via testing with malformed inputs.

[GSoC 2017] Calendar Application: Weekly Report 5

Blog post by AkshayAgarwal007 on Tue, 2017-07-25 10:47

Hello Everyone! It's been more than a week since I wrote my last blog post. In this post I would brief you on the work done during this time. I spent a little more time digging into the Haiku source (mostly the locale kit) to work on bugs and possible improvements as I came across quite a few places that would require it, while working on the Calendar app. The current date is now highlighted in BCalendarView.

Bug: XHCI (usb 3.0) issues

Blog post by kallisti5 on Mon, 2017-07-17 15:59

As we work to stabilize Haiku and move closer to the R1 beta releases, USB driver issues are becomming more apparent. At the moment, bugs with our XHCI (usb 3.0) stack are high on the problem list. New hardware is beginning to ship with XHCI-only controllers, which means we can no-longer fall back to our stable EHCI (usb 2.0) stack. A large number of bug reports have been opened around these kinds of issues: