So, this wasn’t a fun week. Last week I had finished merging all commits from WebKit main repo. I got Web+ to run fairly well with these changes and I wanted to merge this into Haiku. However, while this works for the gcc2-hybrid version, I was not able to build a package for gcc4 and gcc4h. As a result, there were no nightlies published (the script wants all the architectures to work for a given revision before it gets published).
This week I reached a major milestone in my work, as I’m done merging all WebKit commits all the way to november 2013. HaikuLauncher is still running fine, and I will make the small required changes in WebPositive so it works fine again. Expect an updated WebPositive in trunk very soon now.
This week merges were as boring as the previous week ones: addition of the NiX port, removal of the Qt one (next version of Qt will go with Blink), replacement of a lot of never-null pointers to use references instead, rename of the KURL class to URL, and some API changes.
Sorry for no report last week, I was not in front of the computer on Friday.
Anyway, I got the HTTP authentication working last week. This was the last missing feature in the Services Kit version of WebKit when compared to the current cURL one. The next step is to fix the new rendering bugs.
The rendering side of things is mostly built into WebKit, so I didn’t want to fix it on the old version we are still running.
Hello there !
Well, not so much progress on WebKit this week. I spent most of the time working on CMake code to get it to generate hpkg files. I got something that works well enough to link Web+ to it, so I can test things with the actual browser instead of HaikuLauncher. Today I added the cookie jar persistence, so Web+ remembers all the cookies when you exit and relaunch it.
Time for a report again !
So, over last week-end and monday morning I finally got Ninja working. I already said some words about it, Ninja is meant to replace Make for building projects. It has less features, because it is designed to run files that are generated, rather than hand-written. In my case, CMake generate the Ninja failes. I had problems building Ninja that turned out to be abug in our Python port.
Hello again, it’s time for another report !
I made pretty good progress this week.
The issues I had last week with POST data are fixed. I had removed a non-working piece of code but replaced it with another that was broken in a different way. The problem was the way POST data was added to the http request. Fixing this properly required some changes to the Services Kit API. I removed some classes to make things simpler and introduced a stub for the central BUrlProtocolHandler class, which takes an Url as a parameter and builds a request for it using the appropriate protocol.
It’s Friday again !
So, in my last blog post I told you I was converting our WebKit build files to CMake. This week I managed to get a working HaikuLauncher (the test browser that comes in the WebKit tree) and surf the web a bit with it.
Hey, it’s Friday already !
So, now that I’m (mostly) done moving and I have set up my workplace (including internet access, electricity, and everything required), I can finally start doing some actual work on WebKit. So, what’s hapenned this week ? Well, actually, not that much.
A quick reminder, you can follow the commits on the bnetapi branch of haiku-webkit repo at github.
I’ve also set up a Gist TODO list so you can see things I want to work on. Please send me comments about websites that don’t work well, I’ll add them to the list and see what can be done.
It’s been two weeks since the previous blog post, so here goes an update.
First of all, I wanted to make it clear that I haven’t started to work on my contract, so the few things that happened in the last two weeks were done on my free time. Said free time was short, as I’m in the process of moving to another city and I’ve been packing a lot of stuff and cleaning my flat. Note I will be offline starting next week, and I hope to get internet access back as soon as possible. I won’t start working on the contract before I’m back online, as testing a web browser without any internet access creates more problems than I’m willing to solve.
As you may know, I’m going to spend some time again as a full-time Haiku developer. This time, I’ll be working on improving WebPositive and the WebKit port to bring a better web browsing experience to Haiku users.
During the past weeks I’ve managed to spare some free time to get up to speed on the various pieces of code involved and how to work with them. This first blog post summarizes the current state of affairs and I’ll set some goals (with your help) for the next monthes.