Locale kit: cross tools, messing with jamfiles

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Sun, 2009-07-05 21:29

This week i’ve been working on a big red post-it that was on last week’s picture. It was about wo things : make the catalog handling tools work as build tools, and test them in some special cases. The first part took me almost the whole week. I started doing a full port of the locale kit, but noticed it would probably be too complex to do that. Instead, I started over with a simpler solution.

Locale Kit: the big picture

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Sat, 2009-06-27 19:14

almost-UML diagram of the locale kit This week, I finally got the plaintext catalog add on working. Then today, Oliver reviewed my work and we had a meeting on IRC. We agreed on some changes to the internal architecture of the locale kit, and also to the classes I added. Some classes in this kit have unappropriate names, and the kit was designed with zeta compatibility in mind, whereas in today’s Be-World it seems more important to focus on gettext.

Locale Kit: (somewhat) weekly report

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2009-06-19 18:42

Mid-term evaluations for GSoC are already coming… I’m still working on the catalogs for translating applications. I got the system working and integrated it into Haiku, so now any application can be translated. However, there is still a lot of work to do. I’m now working on a plaintext catalog add on. Catalogs are the files that store translated strings. There is a catalog add-on called “default” that is used in applications.

Locale Kit: everything about catalogs and catalog add ons

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Mon, 2009-06-01 19:52

Today I have started to write a catalog add-on to save catalogs in plain text for easy translation. I’ve spent some time looking at the involved C++ classes, and here is what I found. A catalog is a collection of strings, stored as <hash,value> pairs. It is used in the locale kit to translate the text in an application to the system language at runtime. When an application starts, it asks the locale roster to find its catalog and return it back.

Locale Kit : status update n.2

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Wed, 2009-05-27 11:51

These two weeks I’ve been quite busy with other things, so the project didn’t move as much as I wanted. However, I managed to get the catalog engine to internationalize an app for the first time. It’s not a big application, just a very simple Hello World test program. And the lack of a tool for translating catalogs means I had to edit them by hand to get the translation done.

Locale Kit : status update n.1

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Sun, 2009-05-03 16:34

The work on the Locale Kit as part of the Summer of Code has already started :) This week we have been working on proper integration of my work in the Haiku tree. So you can now checkout Haiku from svn and get the Locale Kit as part of it. Of course, some parts are still broken (or not yet written), but some of the tests seems to be already working.

GSoC project : Internationalization for Haiku

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Tue, 2009-04-21 08:02

Hello world ! As you know, I am one of the selected students for this year summer of code. In this post I will introduce myself and give some details about my project. My name is Adrien Destugues, some of you may know me as PulkoMandy as i’ve been lurking on the irc channel and mailing lists for some time. I already applied for the Summer of Code and Haiku Code Drive last year but unfortunately I was not selected.