Hello there, here comes the activity report for the month of march 2015.
This month there were 104 commits (hrev48848-hrev48952), 5 more than in the previous month.
My contract has ended, but for now I have some free time to write a report every month about the ongoing development efforts from the Haiku team. I think this is a nice way to better see the work done, more so than looking at the roadmap progress bars which tend to not move much.
This month there were 91 commits (hrev48757-hrev48848). Let’s see what’s inside those.
As you probably have noticed, there were no weekly report in the previous weeks. The reason for this is that my contract is currently stopped. There is currently not enough money in Haiku’s treasure chest to safely continue it. So, it’s time to me to get back to “real life” and a full-time job in a software development company.
First of all I want to thank everyone who made this long contract possible by donating money to Haiku. It was a great experience for me, and a lot of fun as well. I did my best to move Haiku forward towards the R1 release. Unfortunately the beta 1 still isn’t there, and we currently have 57 blocking tickets. It is a small number, but only the most complex or big issues are left.
As you may have noticed if you watch the commit list closely, my libbind work has not been merged yet. There are still some bugs to solve there, but I got sidetracked. I use BReferenceable in my DNS cache implementation to keep track of the cache entries. BReferenceable is a class used in Haiku to implement reference counted objects. In C++, the language only has very simple memory management, in the form of the new and delete operators. Objects can be allocated on the stack (they are temporary and only last as long as the function they are declared in is executing), or on the heap (for long lived objects). Objects allocated on the stack are deleted automatically when the function exits, while objects allocated on the heap must be deleted manually. This is one of the annoying parts of C++: managing the lifetime of these objects, making sure they are deleted only once, and that no one will try to use them after deletion.
Not much commits from me this week, as I’m still working on the libbind update, and I’m also doing some work for other customers. I got netresolv to build after implementing the missing getifaddrs function in Haiku - this is a non-POSIX function, but it is available in Linux and all major BSDs. It enumerates all network addresses for all network interfaces on the system, similar to our BNetworkRoster and BNetworkInterface classes.
I have not given any news from the Google Code-In for some time. It ends this week, and students have completed more than 400 tasks for Haiku. While this includes a lot of simple tasks (the simplest “getting started” ones involved just booting Haiku and running StyledEdit), it means the students at least got to see what Haiku is. We have a more complete set of recipes in haikuporter waiting to be packaged.
Hello there, welcome to the first contract report for 2015!
This report summarizes changes done since 19 of december as I was a bit away from keyboard for the winter break. But I’m back for another year of Haiku coding!
Work continues on putting Haiku in shape for the R1 release. This week I worked mostly on UI fixes to make our apps look a bit better.
With the fixes done this week, we now have less than 2500 open tickets left before R1. I had crossed this bar last week already, but not for long as new tickets sometimes come faster than we can close old ones. I think now we are under that bar in a more durable way.
So, this week marks the start of the Google Code-In contest. I’ve spent some of my time preparing some tasks for it as well as reviewing the work from students. Our IRC channel is incredibly busy, and there have been 110 tasks completed by 65 students already. You can currently watch the leaderboard here for unofficial stats: http://ematirov.tk/org/haiku/