Contract weekly report #55 - GCI and more

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-12-05 08:39

Hi! So, this week marks the start of the Google Code-In contest. I’ve spent some of my time preparing some tasks for it as well as reviewing the work from students. Our IRC channel is incredibly busy, and there have been 110 tasks completed by 65 students already. You can currently watch the leaderboard here for unofficial stats: http://ematirov.tk/org/haiku/

Contract weekly report #54

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-11-28 08:30

Hello world!

Work continue this week with a lot of long overdue UI enhancements. Not very technical work there, but finally closing all those tickets allows us to more easily find the important ones in the bugtracker. These changes also make Haiku more polished and easier to use, which is one of the project goals, after all.

Contract weekly report #53

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-11-21 09:12

Hi!

After a great week-end at the Capitole du Libre showing Haiku to other people in the free software community (read François’ report for more details - video of my talk should be available “soon”), I’m back to work on the code.

Contract weekly report #52 - On to beta1!

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-11-14 08:52

Hi,

This week I continued work on moving Beta1 forward, fixing some important and less important bugs. To make things clear about what to expect in the upcoming weeks, I will spend more time on Beta1 tasks, but I’ll also continue working on WebKit. However, my work there will focus on fixing bugs, rather than adding new features.

WebKit weekly report #51 - back to normal schedule

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-11-07 07:57

Hello there! I'm now back home after BeGeistert. As you may have noticed if you read the development mailing list, there is a general agreement from the development team for a beta 1 release "real soon now", and after that, it will be time for R1. I will be coordinator for these, which means I will spend a bit less time on WebKit to take care of some other tasks. But I'm not giving up on WebKit, which still needs a lot of changes to reach release-quality. I was a bit less active this week as I had to recover from the lack of sleep at BeGeistert. But it's all fine now and I should soon be back at full speed.

BeGeistert 028 coding sprint report

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-10-31 08:29

Hello world! As you probably know, I'm reporting from Düsseldorf this week, where the BeGeistert coding sprint is about to end. I won't cover the events of the weekend as Humdinger has already written a complete report for it, including videos of all the talks. So let's instead dive into the coding sprint event, and see what we hacked on during the week

WebKit weekly report #50 - One year of WebKit!

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-10-24 07:33

Hello everyone!

This week is a bit special, as it closes the first year of my contract with Haiku. I wish to thank everyone for their support through donations, bug reports, comments on these articles, and general support for my work. I hope this will continue into next year.

This was again a rather busy week, but there was not much work on WebKit itself. I’ll keep the breakdown I used last week (haiku/haikuports/webkit) as it seems to work well.

WebKit weekly report #49 - Screensavers, ports, and memory leaks.

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-10-17 07:34

Hello world!

This has been a busy week with activity on all fronts.

WebKit weekly report #48 - More Locale Kit, buildbot and upstreaming efforts

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-10-10 06:44

Hello world! Localekit and ICU migration Last week I wrote the report while I was debugging a deadlock in ICU 53.1. I spent some time debugging this and I found the issue. ICU calls native functions to handle some aspects of timezones (tzset, localtime, and a few others). However on Haiku we implement these functions using ICU. This didn’t work too well as ICU tried to lock a lock it was already holding during the initialization of timezone data.

WebKit weekly report #47 - Trapped in Locale Kit!

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-10-03 07:31

Hello world!

So, one of the changes made last week (the XMLHTTPRequest timeout support) led to an API breakage in the network kit. This made WebKit crash on starting WebPositive, and I had to make an “emergency” release during the weekend to fix this. While you can enjoy the new shiny features and the bugfixes, you will also notice it is rather slow and uses a lot of CPU. This is a known issue related to the fixes with redrawing frames, which needed to remove some optimizations. I’ll try to reintroduce those in a way that doesn’t involve drawing problems.