Welcome to the tenth monthly report for 2018! PulkoMandy is busy packing and then travelling to BeGeistert, and most of the work these past two months was done by myself anyway, so, I’m covering for him once again. (Writing about yourself in the third person is fun!)
This report covers hrev52310-hrev52462 (~250 commits.)
R1/beta1! As you’ve probably already seen, heard, felt, … etc., Haiku R1/beta1 was released at the end of last month!
At last, R1/beta1 is nearly upon us. As I’ve already explained on the mailing list, only two non-“task” issues remain in the beta1 milestone, and I have prototype solutions for both. The buildbot and other major services have been rehabilitated and will need only minor tweaking to handle the new branch, and mmlr has been massaging the HaikuPorter buildmaster so that it, too, can handle the new branch, though that work is not quite finished yet.
Welcome to the fifth monthly report for 2018! … Yes, I know, PulkoMandy usually does these. But he’s got WebKit fixes to do, and not much spare time, so this month at least he gets a break while I cover for him.
This report covers hrev51922-hrev51985.
Applications PulkoMandy merged a bunch more changes from upstream WebKit and updated the version in the nightly builds. It’s a little unstable at present as a result (though he has some fixes coming soon.
During this year’s coding sprint in Toulouse (which I was able to attend, thanks to being in Europe on a study-abroad program), I spent a lot of time massaging HaikuPorts to generate a consistent-enough state of packages for us to switch to them by default, and then making the in-tree changes necessary for the switch. Thanks to this and mmlr’s comprehensive overhaul of the HaikuPorter Buildmaster over the past couple months, we have finally switched to the new repositories by default as of hrev51620.
Yesterday, The Lunduke Hour, hosted by Bryan Lunduke (perhaps most famous for his “Linux Sucks” presentations), had me on as a guest to talk about the state of Haiku and where we go from here:
Bryan’s been a longtime fan of Haiku (some of the old-timers might remember when he reviewed R1a3 on the Linux Action Show…), and it was a lot of fun to chat with him for an hour about what’s been going on over the past few years, and where things are headed.
Hello, world! If you’re reading this message, that means you’re looking at the new Haiku website. This has been in the works for a long time, but at last it’s finally here.
Hello everybody (and goodbye, since this is the end of my contract)!
The week has gone very smoothly for me. Dependencies are resolved, builds are created, secondary architectures are handled, and builders can now be updated on-demand by administrators. There probably are a few bugs left to be ironed out, but the bulk of the work is done, and I will have enough time to iron out the last kinks.
A lot has happened since last week. The DHCP bug that has been plaguing Haiku for over a month is now fixed, some various other issues have been cleared up, and the Kitchen has a lot of edge-cases fixed and properly parses dependencies.
A lot has happened since my last report. I decided to spend some time working on stabilizing both Haiku and the packaging system, and so I am closer to having full builds & HPKR generation, but I’m not quite there yet.
It’s been two weeks since my last report, as I wasn’t working full-time these past two due to some outside appointments and other conflicts. I’ll be back to working full-time next week. Despite this, I managed to make a lot of progress on a number of fronts.