FAQ 2, sorf of…
Please excuse the wall of questions in one post and bear with me if these sound dumb as I'm just an Ubuntu/Debian Openbox user.
- Can I install Hauki on x86-64 hardware?
- Any optimisation for SSD in installation and in Web app usage or elsewhere?
- What is Haiku's sound architecture or framework or whatever? Alsa, OSS…? Does it or media player support gapless playback? Can I set SPDIF as my device?
- How can I use/mount my WD network drive; via smb, nfs…?
- What toolkit does Haiku use?
- Are the apps to be installed only those included in the iso and the ones in Haukiware?
- (How) can I install a functional LyX/Texlive environment and some other Qt apps (no KDE ones)?
- Is there a backup utility like Luckybackup; or a command line alternative?
- Are both global and configurable hot-keys supported? That is, can I configure multimedia keys to control the media app while working with another app?
- Is there something like lm_sensors for hardware temp monitoring?
- Is there a gmail notifier utility?
- CD/DVD/BD ripper?
- Is it rolling release?
- Can I trust Haiku to continue to be really independent, not to be dominated by some commercial entities (like Red Hat) or by other interest groups; and not to be tabletised, ruined by something like Gnome3 or Unity; or not to be bloated like KDE?
Beautiful web site by the way.