r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

Forum thread started by ddavid123 on Sun, 2011-11-06 15:41

Yesterday I upgraded Haiku to r43192 from r42822 via anyboot image! I burn the anyboot image to CD then install it to usb stick with the older version of Haiku still installed on the stick. I have been doing this since I installed Haiku Alpa 3 on the stick!

Yesterday I noticed that after the upgrade to r43192, Haiku used much more RAM than other revisions! Usually, it will consume 120 megs after starting and then goes slowly down to 80 megs when idle with virtual memory enabled. Now it consumes 160-180 megs and stays there when idle with virtual memory enabled! Same amount of virtual memory allotted in both revisions on the same computer with the same hardware specs.! The only thing that has changed is the upgrade to r43192!

I am not at the same computer, so I can not submit any syslogs or anything! Is this a known issue? Could it be due to having Haiku previously installed on the stick and did not permit a clean install? Thanks!

Comments

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

A memory calculation bug was fixed in r43168. See http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7714

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

So Haiku isn't using MORE memory, it was just LYING about how much it used before! Right?

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

ddavid123 wrote:

So Haiku isn't using MORE memory, it was just LYING about how much it used before! Right?

Correct.

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

I would like to ask if the developers will try to reduce the hardware requirements for Haiku? Or is it a necessary minimum?

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

cmon, Haiku would NEVER LIE to me!

... would it?

(wiping away tear)

:)

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

ribbonz wrote:

cmon, Haiku would NEVER LIE to me!

... would it?

(wiping away tear)

:)

If it will make you feel any better ribbonz, think of it as a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth instead of a LIE! Oh, wait that is exactly what a lie is! Darn it! Sorry ribbonz, yes Haiku lies, lies big time! If it is any consolation, Microsoft does this all the time! According to them, Windows is a phenomenal Operating System which is more of a Mac than the Mac is! Don't feel bad!

Just a joke, people! Don't send me hate mail because I talked #%*! about Haiku! If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others.

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

ddavid123 wrote:
ribbonz wrote:

cmon, Haiku would NEVER LIE to me!

... would it?

(wiping away tear)

:)

If it will make you feel any better ribbonz, think of it as a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth instead of a LIE! Oh, wait that is exactly what a lie is! Darn it! Sorry ribbonz, yes Haiku lies, lies big time! If it is any consolation, Microsoft does this all the time! According to them, Windows is a phenomenal Operating System which is more of a Mac than the Mac is! Don't feel bad!

Just a joke, people! Don't send me hate mail because I talked #%*! about Haiku! If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others.

Hey, as long as they are honest about lying, then I'm OK with it.
(there's nothing worse than a dishonest liar)

:)

Re: r43192 consumes more Ram than r42822

ribbonz][quote=ddavid123][quote=ribbonz wrote:

cmon, Haiku would NEVER LIE to me!

Hey, as long as they are honest about lying, then I'm OK with it.
(there's nothing worse than a dishonest liar)

:)

I am sorry to say there is no such thing as an honest liar! If they were honest, they would not be a liar. It is like trying to allow an irresistible force and a unmovable object to exist in the same space-time continuum! It just can't happen! Sorry to dash your world view, but it is asinine to believe in honest dishonesty! :P

More to the topic of the original post, Haiku still runs like an elephant seal on a 10 G planet! Slow and a hog of resources! Webpositive freezes after only 5 minutes! Any idea what is causing that?