A Decade of Haiku
Ten years ago today, the first post appeared on the mailing list of our project - then still called "OpenBeOS" - officially marking the start of our endeavor. Back then, with the imminent demise of Be Inc., there was an excitement and creative motivation in the air, that lead many to think a first release was only a matter of a few years. As it turns out, this estimation was a bit too optimistic...
Others didn't have confidence in the project and attested a quick dissolving before having anything to show. They were apparently wrong too. After ten years Haiku is still here and making progress. And with a quite stable and feature rich Alpha 3 we have a pretty good picture of what R1 will look like.
In those 10 years many developers came and went, and some are still around, coding away with a passion. With further progress more and more non-coders became active and did their part to improve the system. This continued passion and determination in realizing a shared vision makes me confident that we'll see Haiku around in another ten years time. I wonder what soon-to-be-released version of Haiku we'll be excited about then...
- Haiku's IRC channels are moving to OFTC!
- Haiku to mentor 4 students in Google Summer of Code 2021
- System Sounds Contest Wrap-up
- Call for Wallpapers
- Contest for System Sounds
- Haiku R1/beta2 has been released!
- It's almost time for the 2019 Google Code-In and Haiku is ready!
- GCI 2018 - Wrap-up report
- Haiku to mentor interns in Google Summer of Code and Outreachy
- Haiku R1/beta1 has been released