Good news everybody -- contracts and more!
Both developers will continue working on their individual contracts -- Adrien Destugues (aka Pulkomandy) for WebPositive, WebKit and the Services Kit and Pawel Dziepak (aka pdziepak) for CPU scheduler and other CPU related features. Pawel's work is currently concentrated in a "scheduler" branch of Haiku on github Adrien's work is landing in Haiku's master branch, a "bnetapi" branch of WebKit on github, and Haikuports bitbucket repositories. An early build of HaikuLauncher, a barebones browser for testing the WebKit port, is available here
As you may know, package management has been merged into the main development line (the "master" branch) and are available in the normal nightly images at haiku-files.org As with any large feature, ironing out all of the wrinkles takes time. There are several ways you can help:
- file bugs on dev.haiku-os.org
- contribute to Haikuports collection of build recipes
- repackage and publish existing software as .hpkg's
- engage in conversations on haiku mailing lists (for example the general list [haiku] or the development related questions [haiku-development])
In other news, another developer Julian Harnath (aka jua), has been doing some excellent work and recently received commit access. One example is fixing ticket #8007, which refactors the port subsystem locking and alleviates various freezing issues. He has started some improvements to MediaKit/MediaPlayer in another github branch, "media". Initially he plans general overall fixes to the MediaKit, the MediaPlayer filters and even some new filter nodes. Time will tell where he goes from ahere.
Lastly onto finances. At this moment, there's about $18,000 USD in funds. These are the immediate costs that will be paid off shortly:
- €4000 EUR for Oliver's package management contracts, which are winding down.
- €2000 EUR for Adrien's first month of contracting
- €2000 EUR for Adrien's second month of contracting
- $2500 USD for Pawel's first month of contracting
- $2500 USD for Pawel's second month of contracting
- $400 USD for Ohio Linux Fest
- $100 USD for domain renewals
After those transactions, there will be $1200 USD at the end of November. $1000 of that is kept on reserve for unexpected costs. Do you:
- Haiku, Inc. has hired an existing contributor to work on Haiku full-time!
- 20 Years of Haiku
- Media Release: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Update
- Haiku, Inc. sponsoring hardware purchases for RISC-V port
- Important Change Required for Haiku Nightly and R1/Beta2 Users
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Approved
- Haiku's IRC channels are moving to OFTC!
- Haiku to mentor 4 students in Google Summer of Code 2021
- System Sounds Contest Wrap-up