System Sounds Contest Wrap-up
Contest for Haiku System Sounds is finally over; and ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!
Before going into details, lots of thanks to all participants and voters are in order. Thanks to you, Haiku now has a cohesive high-quality sound set, that will hopefully make using Haiku even more pleasant and accessible.
Without further ado, the winner is Garrett Kabler, with the sound theme “grubs-sparkly-tones” (previously named as “burgs-sparkly-tones”, name changed by the author due to a possible identity mixup)!
Garrett’s entry won the contest by a landslide, acquiring a whopping 249 points, whilst the runner up followed up with 50 points. This is very impressive, and gives an overall idea about the quality of Garrett’s sound set.
Top three are listed below:
For the evaluation, entries were ranked from one to five, each of them corresponding to below points:
- 1st place: 5 points
- 2nd place: 4 points
- 3rd place: 3 points
- 4th place: 2 points
- 5th place: 1 point
According to votes, the final scores were calculated as below:
|8. Forest Dreams||23|
|9. Low Modularian||18|
|10. Zen Peace||16|
|11. Meditation Time||15|
|13. Straight Outta Cronton||13|
|15. Supposedly Not Too Annoying Theme||10|
|16. The Poet Operating System Theme||7|
|17. Daniel Diaz||6|
You can download the votes’ breakdown table from this link (.ods file, 20 KiB).
The winning sound theme will be included in Haiku R1. You can still use any sound theme you please via setting them up manually in “Sounds” preferences or install and use the other entries via HaikuDepot, once the underlying foundation for this feature is implemented.
Thanks again to all participants and everyone who helped spread the word around.
- Haiku, Inc. has hired an existing contributor to work on Haiku full-time!
- 20 Years of Haiku
- Media Release: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Update
- Haiku, Inc. sponsoring hardware purchases for RISC-V port
- Important Change Required for Haiku Nightly and R1/Beta2 Users
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Approved
- Haiku's IRC channels are moving to OFTC!
- Haiku to mentor 4 students in Google Summer of Code 2021
- System Sounds Contest Wrap-up