WebKit weekly report #25

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-28 07:40

Hello world!

Support for html5 audio makes slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Last week I was struggling with the build system. These issues are solved now, and I have a WebKit build which recognizes the <audio> and <video> html5 tags. This is not quite enough to get the sound and video output going, however. I have started plugging some parts of it to the media kit. We now download the audio files, and try to decode them with Media Kit. However, I found a bug with our ffmpeg add-on, that doesn't properly report the list of formats it can decode. I could work around that (but I'll try to fix it properly instead). However, we also have a problem with using BMediaFile and BMediaTrack in hybrid applications, as the ffmpeg decoder add-on is not available for those, and it needs to be instanciated in the application side. Moreover, the media server doesn't seem to handle hybrid paths properly, so the app tries to load the non-hybrid version of the add-on. So, I'll have to work on the media kit itself, earlier than I expected.

I also merged the latest version of WebKit, with the usual set of cleanup, optimization and bugfixes. The GTK port completely switched to CMake, and the autotools based build system is now gone. CMake is now the standard way of building WebKit, with only Apple port using something else (but they are considering to make the switch as well).

I'm also watching the testsuite results. I fixed some bugs in our font code again (mainly mixum of characters vs bytes), fixing some crashes. There is one crash (related to iframes) and one assert (related to cached resources) that I'd like to fix, as they cause most of the testsuite crashes. There are also a lot of rendering bugs, and fixing them will likely help with the rendering issues on real-world pages (but the pages in the testsuite are much simpler, making it easy to find where the bug comes from). I'll continue to review these.

Comments

Re: WebKit weekly report #25

Nicely done Adrien. I'm very excited about the HTML5 work you're doing.

Re: WebKit weekly report #25

Does the qupzilla 1.7 update bring anything interesting along as well?

Re: WebKit weekly report #25

why you dont put a google bar adsense into the browser while develop end and get a part of money from that?

Re: WebKit weekly report #25

Well such things should be opt-in... some people probably wouldn't want it and would find it being in there by default annoying.

Another reason is it would take away some of the voting power of supporters... people vote with thier money often and lately they have been voting in favor of Web+ it seems. That said if an alternate source of money were to show up it might erode that connection to the user just as Firefox no longer really tracks what users want (you know reduced memory consumption to reasonable levels etc... less bloat better support for plugins).

Dispite that I think haiku could put search bar revenue to good use which is why I use goodsearch sometimes.