Anyone can help Haiku. If you love what Haiku is all about, you can get involved. It's up to you what you want to do and how much time you contribute. If you are interested, send an e-mail to contact (at) haiku-os [dot/point] org or sign up for the Haiku mailing list. People wanting to specifically write code for Haiku can go here for more information. Read more below for specifics.
How can People Help?
Andrew Jackson once said, “One man with courage makes majority.” In other words, a sufficiently motivated person can make a marked difference in the state of things. This is how the whole project began and how it continues.
- Financial Donations - People can donate money. This kind of contribution helps Haiku pay for operations and other goods such as hardware for developers. U.S. residents get a tax deduction for this.
- Hardware - Spare parts, in good shape, can be a help when someone wants to donate without having much in their wallet. Working hardware components are necessary to write drivers. Sometimes Haiku developers need replacement components for a development machine. Sending an e-mail to the Haiku mailing list, or posting a message in the forums are two good ways to let the community know you have something to donate.
- Time - A person’s time has the potential to be just as valuable as a financial donation. Reliable, hardworking people who have time to contribute are in short supply on the Haiku project.
- Connections – Who you know can be just as valuable as money in the bank or even more so. In some cases, Haiku may have a need that you can fill because of someone you know.
- Create Awareness – Haiku is at the stage where it is growing rapidly and creating awareness is the best way to entice new people to get involved and contribute to the project. This can be as simple as just spreading the word or as involved as helping out at an event.
- Cash Donations – Just like individuals, businesses can donate financially. Businesses registered in the U.S. get tax breaks for this.
- Other Donations – Depending on the industry, it’s possible that a business can provide other donations, such as hardware, software, or even services. In such cases, contacting someone on the Haiku project is an excellent way to start the process.
- Hardware Specs – Hardware companies can help Haiku by providing hardware and/or specs to developers so that their hardware is supported by the operating system.
- Volunteers – Employee time spent working on Haiku is a donation of services and is a very direct way of helping the project, not to mention a great way to create a positive image in an emerging community and as an advocate of the open source philosophy.
- Hosting – There is always a need for hosting files or other services, even if it’s something as simple as mirroring large files or providing torrent hosting.
- Discounts – Discounts on products or services to Haiku members or the project as a whole is a cost-effective way for businesses to help Haiku. This could be anything from something completely free or as simple as a 10% discount. Everyone wins this way.
- Marketing – Open source software can provide a viable alternative to businesses who wish to distance themselves from proprietary software and who would like to be involved in the development of their platform of choice. Haiku can benefit greatly from adoption and awareness in the business world. Helping us spread the word and promoting Haiku to businesses is a great way to get involved.
Haiku's Manpower Needs
Your skills, your interests, and the amount of time you wish to contribute all play a part in determining how you can best help the Haiku project. Below are examples of many of the project's needs and how an individual person can help.
Keeping the books is not a time-intensive job, but it does require some specialized knowledge, namely, accounting. Someone who wanted to help Haiku with the books would need to keep records and prepare an annual report. It’s not a