As mentioned in the previous report, two weeks ago I attended the RMLL conference. As usual this was quite interesting, and an occasion to show Haiku to more people in the free software community. We got only about 10 persons attending our conference and 4 attending our workshop on making Haiku packages. However, the main event was the "Libre Village" where we got to meet people and try to get as much of them as possible to try Haiku. I played Critical Mass with some people there, and also helped porting PyTouhou to Haiku.
Things are rather quiet on the WebKit side this week. I'm reviewing and fixing the remaining bugs with the new drawing code, which is now working rather well. On the WebKit side, I have implemented a limited form of transform support for regions (only handling translation and scaling, not shear and rotations), which has very good results. As a consequence, we now have mostly correct drawing and quite good performance. Before I do a release (I know the version in current nightlies is quite outdated now), I want to fix one more bug, which is the lack of video display on youtube. This is probably a simple fix once I understand why the current code isn't working anymore.
Hello world, another update!
Work on WebKit continued this week. In the previous report, I mentioned several issues with the new tiled rendering. Most of them turned out to be either problems in app_server or misuse of the APIs in the WebKit code. The most important part was that WebKit used region clipping and expected the region to be transformed when using SetTransform; however, with the current design, region clipping isn't affected by the view transform.
I spent most of the week working on the texture mapper drawing code. I spent a lot of time tweaking the options (each change requires a complete build of Web+, so this added up to a lot of time...), and today I got the texture mapper to display something in a BWindow.
Well, just got confirmation from Haiku, Inc. that I can continue working on this during May. Thanks to everyone who donated money to Haiku, Inc. for making this possible!
As mentioned last week, I'm working on fixing the flickering and missing rendering on some pages. I didn't get very good results yet, but I can at least give you an overview of the different ways WebKit can render things on screen.
Not so much exciting things this week...
Well, good news first, on wednesday I uploaded HaikuWebkit 1.3.1 packages. It should be more stable than the previous releases, and includes work from the last 3 weeks including some more bugfixes for audio/video support, working web socket support, and many smaller fixes.