Hello everyone, Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming to the end. This is my final report which covers third coding sprint, also read my introduction blog for a brief of my project.
Creating and removing directories are now working. Basically, creating directories involve in inserting new inode (metadata of file) and making links between file name and inode. Because directories don't hold any data so there isn't any links between inode and file data, creating new files need to handle it.
Hi there! It has been 4 weeks since my last blog post. This blog post recaps what I have done in the second coding period and what I am doing and will do in the following weeks. Link to my previous blog post.
In the previous weeks I have been doing the implmentation for extent allocator and journal. About the extent allocator, the allocating strategy for now is “first fit” which means it allocates a first extent that after the address and has size that equal or larger the size we need.
Hello again, Sorry for late report, things are not going as I planned. In order to implement tree manipulation or copy-on-write function, I must first have a blocks/extents allocator that works well. Also, those things need to handle transactions as well.
In the previous weeks, I did some “edgy” works that are supported functions, add some on-disks structures, modify some parts of the source code, etc. Currently, I am implementing the extent allocator, it can now dump all the free extents and used extents for all roots, included backup roots.
Hello everyone, I spent last 2 weeks mainly for researching and forming an complete idea so that something will not be changed much in the future and some coding. These things are what I did in the previous 2 weeks:
I implemented a “cat” command in btrfs_shell for testing, since current fs_shell misses read file content command.
Refixed ticket #127883. This is the ticket I fixed as a proof to attend GSoC for Haiku, but it is hardcoded.
It's me again, this is my third report of my project about what I have done in this week. There is no coding, just reading and reading a lot. Now, I am confident to say that I can fully understand all the things in Btrfs codebase. I lurked a little around Linux's source and mailing list for Btrfs, but it didn't help much since the source is large, complicated and I don't know where to start to read, so I decide to implement Btrfs in my own way and back to read if encounter problems.
This is my second report about my project "Adding write supports for BTRFS". There hasn't been much coding in this week and previous week, just some researchs, some style fixes in btrfs code base, and I have managed on setting up fs_shell for btrfs, or now you can say btrfs_shell, based on bfs_shell work. fs_shell is a framework containing all the kernel emulation and the user and scripting interface (Thanks Ingo for the info), this allows to compile and run filesystem (Haiku's, for example btrfs) in userland under Linux or any host systems that can build Haiku.
My name is Hy (Trac: hyche, freenode IRC: ugen), and this first blog is about my introduction and Btrfs. This is the first time I participate in Google Summer of Code, I also know Haiku through this event. My project in this summer is write supports for Btrfs and my main mentors are mmu_man (François Revol) and tqh (Fredrik Holmqvist).
During the community bonding period, I will Set up my development environment (userlandfs and fs_shell).