Hi there, it’s time for the monthly report!
Commit range scanned this month: hrev49209-hrev49344.
There are currently 38 tickets open in the beta 1 release. For the first time, we are below 40.
GCI winners trip 2014 report
Hi there! I’m reporting from San Francisco today. This week I was visiting Google, meeting with the two winner students from Google Code-In as well as the students and mentors from the 11 other organizations participating in GCI.
In case you missed it: GCI is a program run by Google for 13-17 year old children. The goal of the program is to introduce them to open source software and get them contributing there, and to get them interested in computer science in general.
A new month, a new report!
The commit range this month is hrev48952-hrev49106. I got bored of doing the statistics by hand, so I’ve run the repo through gitstats instead. This gives more information than what I could do manually, including a listing of the most active commiters this month. Be sure to have a look at the results!
Hello there, here comes the activity report for the month of march 2015.
This month there were 104 commits (hrev48848-hrev48952), 5 more than in the previous month.
My contract has ended, but for now I have some free time to write a report every month about the ongoing development efforts from the Haiku team. I think this is a nice way to better see the work done, more so than looking at the roadmap progress bars which tend to not move much.
This month there were 91 commits (hrev48757-hrev48848). Let’s see what’s inside those.
As you probably have noticed, there were no weekly report in the previous weeks. The reason for this is that my contract is currently stopped. There is currently not enough money in Haiku’s treasure chest to safely continue it. So, it’s time to me to get back to “real life” and a full-time job in a software development company.
First of all I want to thank everyone who made this long contract possible by donating money to Haiku. It was a great experience for me, and a lot of fun as well. I did my best to move Haiku forward towards the R1 release. Unfortunately the beta 1 still isn’t there, and we currently have 57 blocking tickets. It is a small number, but only the most complex or big issues are left.
As you may have noticed if you watch the commit list closely, my libbind work has not been merged yet. There are still some bugs to solve there, but I got sidetracked. I use BReferenceable in my DNS cache implementation to keep track of the cache entries. BReferenceable is a class used in Haiku to implement reference counted objects. In C++, the language only has very simple memory management, in the form of the new and delete operators. Objects can be allocated on the stack (they are temporary and only last as long as the function they are declared in is executing), or on the heap (for long lived objects). Objects allocated on the stack are deleted automatically when the function exits, while objects allocated on the heap must be deleted manually. This is one of the annoying parts of C++: managing the lifetime of these objects, making sure they are deleted only once, and that no one will try to use them after deletion.
Not much commits from me this week, as I’m still working on the libbind update, and I’m also doing some work for other customers. I got netresolv to build after implementing the missing getifaddrs function in Haiku - this is a non-POSIX function, but it is available in Linux and all major BSDs. It enumerates all network addresses for all network interfaces on the system, similar to our BNetworkRoster and BNetworkInterface classes.
I have not given any news from the Google Code-In for some time. It ends this week, and students have completed more than 400 tasks for Haiku. While this includes a lot of simple tasks (the simplest “getting started” ones involved just booting Haiku and running StyledEdit), it means the students at least got to see what Haiku is. We have a more complete set of recipes in haikuporter waiting to be packaged.