Playing with Japanese Fonts
For quite some time now, I have been looking for a good-looking and license-compatible Japanese font set that could be included in Haiku R1. Haiku does have a Japanese font called Konatsu, and while it does work, it is not very well suited as a general font for the overal UI. I think I have found something that is worth taking a close look: the VLGothic font set.
VLGothic combines the latin characters from the M+ Fonts Project (these are VERY good looking fonts!) with the Sazanami Gothic Japanese font by the Electronic Font Open Laboratory. The result is a very good looking and well balanced TrueType font set with support for Japanese characters.
Since a picture is always better than a thousand words, I have included a screenshot of Haiku using the VLGothic font set. What you see on the screenshot is 2ch+, a client app for Japan's biggest (and very controversial) online bulletin board; you can download the binary for Haiku from here.
- Haiku to mentor 3 interns in Outreachy and GSoC
- Introducing myself gsoc 2019
- [GSoC 2019] Improving the btrfs filesystem
- Haiku monthly activity report - 03 and 04/2019
- NVMe Driver Now Available
- Most long-standing XHCI (USB 3.0+) issues resolved!
- Haiku monthly activity report - 02/2019
- Haiku monthly activity report, January 2019
- Haiku monthly activity report - 12/2018
- Haiku monthly activity report - 11/2018