Hi there, let’s do another activity report! You may have noticed that there were a lot of news since the previous one, but here’s a recap in case you missed it: a new beta release, the celebration of the 20th birthday of the Haiku project, the end of Google Summer of Code (final evaluations are being filled in as I write this), and also news from the promotion team which was re-launched a few months ago and is working on various things (read their own report for more details).
Hey everyone! Since the GSoC period is nearing its end therefore here’s the final report on my GSoC project Coding Style Checker Bot.
Project Description: Haiku has its own coding guidelines which describe how the code should be formatted. There is a tool (haiku-format tool) for reformatting or checking if code follows these guidelines, but it has to be compiled on the developer machine and then run manually. My project was to create a Coding Style Checker bot that runs haiku-review tool on files submitted as a patchset in our code review system and posts the report in the patchset comments.
GSoC’s coming to an end, so it’s time for a final update: An overview of what I’ve been working on this summer.
Project My project was to “modernize” and write a libpurple add-on for Caya, a multi-protocol chat program. Ultimately, I hard-forked Caya into Chat-O-Matic at the request of a previous maintainer― with the name being suggested by win8linux. :-)
“Modernization” here means three things: Allowing multiple accounts in use at once, re-orienting the program to support multi-user chats, and giving add-ons some more flexibility.
GSoC 2021 Improvements to Haiku-format Final update It has rightly been said - “All good things come to an end”. Google Summer of Code too was one of the good experiences I’ve had, in the sense that I didn’t know anything about the Open Source world. It provided the exact platform that I needed to kickstart my open source contributions.
About my project: Haiku has its own coding standards which describe how the code should be formatted.
Few components of Haiku are as important to the operating system and its functionality as the preferred web browser and internal project: WebPositive.
In recent days, some users have expressed concern about a “disappearing text” bug, where some text on web pages will disappear for undetermined reasons. This issue is now fixed, but highlights the reason why WebPositive is so important.
The history of WebPositive is as intricately woven into Haiku as BeOS was, and has served as a major effort for all the programmers and users of the operating system even as other web browsers are successfully ported, work for a little while, then, unfortunately, lose functionality and are abandoned.
Hello all! This is the third update from the Haiku Promotion Team.
Beta3 Released As you have noticed, Beta3 has been released! Huge shout out to kallisti5, who was the release coordinator for Beta3. Making a major release of Haiku is a daunting task to all involved!
New Team Members Since I last wrote in March this year, we welcomed the following members to the Team:
animortis AlwaysLivid jeremyf Switching to IRC/Matrix It was brought to our attention that the way the Promotion Team communicated was not a very transparent one – we communicated through a group private message on the Haiku forums.
This blog will contain all the information about what I have done till now.
I started with the input preferences directory and started solving the issues according to haiku guidelines.
A few changes have been made to clang-format. This work takes a lot of time because it needs a complete understanding of how the llvm code works. As there was number of files, it was difficult to figure out which file should contain the solution of the problem but PulkoMandy really helps me alot.
Tl;dr I have completed the bot with basic functionality for my local gerrit instance
Link to Introductory blog
Link to Progress 1
Link to Progress 2
As I have said before I divided my project in the following parts
For every event (change, patch etc.), trigger the Concourse CI pipeline. Implement pipeline in concourse CI for fetching the Git repo and running the haiku-format tool on the relevant files and creating appropriate reports out of the tool.
Hello, it’s time for the June activity report! (yes, not much innovation in the tagline for these reports lately. I’m out of ideas, or maybe just lazy to find new ones).
Before we dig into the report, two important announcements (in case you are not following the other news on the website, since both were already announced separately).
The beta 3 release process is going well, and there are some testing candidate images available for testing.
Looks like it’s time for me to clutter the blog again!
To start: Since the last update, Caya has been hard-forked and renamed to “Cardie” (short for “cardinal”), which at least fits the “bird theme” of libpurple clients.
… And the name’s fitting, since it’s now a fairly functional libpurple client. :-)
libpurple support There are a few features not implemented yet, which keeps it behind the XMPP add-on in terms of functionality, but the core is there: Configuring and managing accounts for any protocol, joining/creating/leaving rooms, chatting, sending/receiving your own status, room invitations, managing roster, purple-side chat commands, etc.