Haiku at VALS' Semester of Code
The Haiku project is participating in this year’s “Semester of Code” (SoC) of the European VALS project. The SoC is similar to Google’s GSoC, but without the financial incentive and more emphasis on the educational side.
Its goal is to connect higher education students with open source projects to introduce them to the cooperative nature of working within a group on a bigger project. For Haiku, besides potentially extending its feature set, it’s another opportunity to spark the interest of new, eager developers with a chance to gain future regular contributors.
These are the Haiku coding projects interested students can apply for:
Add subtitle support to the Media Kit
Create an XFS file system driver
Extend USB Stack
Implement suspend to RAM, and/or suspend to disk
Modify the app_server to support compositing
Reduce power consumption
Streaming support for Media Kit and applications
Unify file system caches
x86-64: Support for 32 bit userland
Being funded by the European Union, only European students are eligible to apply. There’s a list of involved universities that will be partners of the SoC programme in the future. Though, as this is the “pilot” year of the programme, students don’t seem to be restricted to those institutions (at least this is how I read the flyer (PDF)).
This is the timeline:
- September 17 - November 14: Student applications
- November 28: Announcing the participating students and their projects
- November 14 - December 1: Community bonding
- December 1 - April 30: Student coding
- Haiku, Inc. has hired an existing contributor to work on Haiku full-time!
- 20 Years of Haiku
- Media Release: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Update
- Haiku, Inc. sponsoring hardware purchases for RISC-V port
- Important Change Required for Haiku Nightly and R1/Beta2 Users
- Haiku R1/Beta3 Timeline Approved
- Haiku's IRC channels are moving to OFTC!
- Haiku to mentor 4 students in Google Summer of Code 2021
- System Sounds Contest Wrap-up